Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Beans - Did you know they can lower your Cholestrol?

My journey truly started once I was told that my Cholesterol was high and I needed to be put on medication. I was not ready for that - heart disease runs in my family. I lost my dad way to young to heart disease and I knew where this could be headed.

 
I started on a mission to find alternative and preventative  ways to better my health and lower my cholesterol NATURALLY without the use of medications.


One of the ways to lower your cholesterol is thru changes to your Nutrition.

 
Beans are one of the best foods that you can eat to do that.





 So I started to eat more BEANS!!
Actually I was not a fan.. I  shyed away from chili for years because most had beans. I thought that they were dry and tasteless... I guess for me as I got older I started to try new things, different recipes and I came to the realization that WOW - these really are pretty good!! They come in all different shapes and sizes, colors etc.. and the best part is that they are good for you !!

  
Here are 6 ways beans help lower your cholesterol:
  1. They’re rich in fiber, including soluble fiber, which helps lower total cholesterol, LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and triglyceride (fat) levels in your blood
  2. They’re a good source of resistant starch, which helps lower your cholesterol
  3. They contain phytosterols, the plant form of cholesterol, which help lower your cholesterol levels
  4. They’re cholesterol free
  5. They’re trans fat free. Trans fat raises your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
  6. They’re low in fat, especially saturated fat, which increases your cholesterol levels
So what kind of Beans can you eat?
  • Pintos, black beans, chickpeas, lentils, navy beans, great northern, peas, etc.
  • Start with 1/2 cup a day and work your way up to  1- 2 cups a day
There are a variety of ways to get in those servings:
Another way is to replace your Meat with beans ! They are packed with protein, minus the saturated fat - the bad stuff that can put you at risk of raising your cholesterol levels and heart disease.





 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment