Sunday, August 24, 2014

Zucchini Lasagna

Clean Eating Zucchini Lasagna 

I love, love, love Pasta !! Clean eating opened my eyes to so many different options for cooking. I had never thought of replacing the noodles with zucchini, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this one but my philosophy is that I will give it a try at least one time. The first time I made this for dinner, my family actually opted out of eating it.. I was totally IMPRESSED by how good it was. The family had if for leftovers the next day and gave it a thumbs up and said to definitely make it again. Win win for all !! 



Ingredients:

  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 lb of lean ground turkey
  • Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 3 or 4 small zucchini sliced lengthwise
  • 24 oz of low fat or 1% cottage cheese (I use the costco cottage cheese)
  • 1 jar of no sugar added spaghetti sauce
  • Non fat or low fat mozzarella cheese

Directions:

  • Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
  • Combine onion, ground turkey, salt, pepper, garlic powder in a skillet and brown turkey until no longer pink.
  • Layer Zucchini in the bottom of your pan, then spread a layer of cottage cheese, follow that with a layer of ground turkey mixture, spread a layer of sauce on top.
  • Repeat this over again.  Then layer one final row of zucchini on top and cover with sauce and a little sprinkle of mozzarella cheese

  • Cover with foil and bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
  • Remove the foil and continue to bake for 10 more minutes then remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.


Yes it will be a little bit runny due to the water in the zucchini, sauce and the cottage cheese.  I used a slotted spoon to scoop out the lasagna which allows the liquids to stay in the dish. 


Source: Melanie Mitro

No comments:

Post a Comment