Monday, November 24, 2014

Count Down to Thanksgiving! Tips for a Successful Day!


So here we are, the week of Thanksgiving. Time for planning and prep. Now it should be real easy. Just do what I do each week. So thanksgiving is just one meal. It sounds simple but for some it might not be as simple as it sounds. You may have family coming in from out of town, you may be traveling, the kids are home from school, lots of activities are going on, many of which seem to be focused around eating.. Lets talk about some tips to get you through the week and the big day. 

 There is no reason why you can't stick to your workout schedule.  This week add a few extra workouts in. I know that I am going to shoot for an hour at least 3x this week vs my normal 25 minutes of T25. If you are traveling and are staying at a hotel you can take your laptop and do your workout in your hotel room.  If you dont have a laptop, improvise, go to the gym and make sure to get in a sweat session. Workout early in the morning and get it out of the way. Invite a family member to workout with you. 

Make sure to eat breakfast!! This week I am going to make sure to get in more protein and veggies. Shakeology will be breakfast or lunch on thanksgiving day, I want to make sure that I eat as I normally would during the day. I will have my morning snack, and lunch at home before heading out. By doing this I am less likely to overeat on appetizers at my sisters. The one change is that I will hold off on any carbs until my Thanksgiving meal on that day. 

Hydrate --  drink plenty of water throughout the day.  When you are traveling it's easy to not drink your water.  Make sure that water is still your main drink of choice and that you are focused on 1/2 your body weight in ounces each day. That is the key to keeping hydrated, full, and not over eating.

Will cocktails be on the menu? What are the best options?  I recommend vodka and soda ( I love Lacroix water) with a lime. OR a glass of wine. But remember that that those drinks are carb servings. On those days I make sure to load up on veggies during the day

While you’re giving thanks and spending time with the people you love  DON’T be like the average American and pack on unneeded pounds – you’re better than that.I know you’re probably going to eat more on Thanksgiving than you would on most Thursdays. And, I understand. It’s one of my favorite holidays too! I want to eat all my favorites (sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie…), but I also don’t want to have the stuffed uncomfortable feeling when the meal is over or have the gulilt the next morning and feel like I’ve undone my progress. Of course, if you’ve been exercising and eating right, one day won’t undo all the work you’ve done. 

This year do something different. Start with the Veggies first. Put those on your plate before you add all the other favorite fixins.  Think of food as fuel not as comfort. Just because it is the holidays,  I still stick to the plan and eat every few hours.  Here are some great tips from Autumn Calabrese for how to make your plate on thanksgiving. 



If you know the menu think about it before you arrive. Vision what your plate will look like. Know before you sit down what you will and will not eat. What can you go without. For me I will skip the roll. There are other carbs that I would prefer to eat. DO NOT go for the second plate. I know that it all tastes so good but you don't want to end the evening STUFFED and miserable. I know that I am not going to skip the Crustless Pumpkin Pie (I make a fabulous Clean version !! ) so I need to save a little room for that. 




I wish you a healthy and happy Holiday!!!!  

NOTE:  I am going to be starting a holiday survival guide group December 1st through 31st.  If you want some tips just like this to staying on track for the month of december and that extra level of accountability then make sure to join here!

The requirements are 30 days of Shakeology, Fitness Program optional, option to start with the 3 day refresh and or the 21 day fix!  Think about it this way!  Don't wait until after the holidays to get started.  You can actually lose an average of 2lbs a week between now and Christmas! Think 10 lbs gone before the ball drops on 2015!  

No comments:

Post a Comment