Monday, March 9, 2015

Bored or Hungry- Do you know the difference?




So I was taking some time and reflecting back on my last few months. I was stuck in a bad rut. I was finding that I was aimlessly eating bites of food out of the pantry. When I walked by I couldn't resist going on inside, looking around and grabbing something. I know that I didn't even need it but I did it anyway.


It was not because i was hungry, it was because I was bored. Days that I work from home, I find that I do worse. I have my food all planned out for the day so why was I doing it? It was becoming a really BAD HABIT. Even though it was small, I was consistently doing it over and over.


Breaking those habits is easier said than done. Boredom eating is an easy, automatic response to get into. Most of us develop it early in life and reinforce it for years and years. How many times have you wandered idly over to the refrigerator, pulled it open and stood gazing vaguely into the bright interior, waiting for some moment of inspiration? That's boredom eating. If you were actually experiencing hunger, your physical need would bring you to a quick decision.


Boredom eating can be really dangerous. It is easy to grab a bag of chip, pretzels, cookies etc and sit down to your favorite TV program and before you know it half the bag is gone.

Dont get wrapped up in this. If you are going to grab something. Take the extra minute and actually portion it out. Put the approprite serving in a bag or a bowl and then dive in. This will save you in the longe run !! 

Eating when you are physically hungry has signs as well. Once you are full you stop eating. Do not eat just to eat. It doesn't even taste good anymore but you keep doing it. STOP. 
You shouldn't feel guilty about the food choices that you make. Food is fuel and it is to keep you satisfied. Eat in moderation and the right foods and there is no reason to ever feel bad about it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment